Monday, October 11, 2010

Miscommunication and Unattainable Goals Meet Conflict

I try to handle conflicts immediately, but obviously it is inevitable that some conflicts and arguments will ultimately escalate. The factors that seem to play the largest role in escalating a conflict tend to be that of miscommunication and unattainable goals. These two factors can not only delay the resolution of a conflict, but also ultimately cause enough stress and tension to escalate the conflict much further. It would be unfair for me to say that the other party in my conflicts is always responsible for the escalation; I play an equal and sometimes greater role in the process of conflict escalation. I manage to contribute to the escalation by (in a lack of other words) being really stubborn. While at times a solution may be placed in front of me, yet I ignore it because it is not the exact solution that I wanted. The concepts of miscommunication and unattainable goals escalate conflicts in my life because these seem to be the most present in my life. Many times conflicts have arose and escalated due to miscommunication in both person, and even more so over the Internet. Unattainable goals present a challenge because having an unattainable goal within a conflict means it will never be reached, and without some sort of sacrifice, the conflict will continue to escalate until there is a clear winner.

1 comment:

  1. Ok -- you are so quiet in class -- you're doing a great job with the journals, clearly absorbing class materials and making good use of them.

    ReplyDelete